Whether you found your way here from instagram, or you just happened upon this post... Hi!
Like I said in my insta post, it seems there is a national day for everything now..... April alone has Siblings Day (10th), Pet Day (11th), and Earth Day (22nd) in it's list.
But what better way to celebrate International Carrot Day (4th April) than to share a couple of carrot-based recipes.
If you fancy some Caribbean style Carrot Juice and/ or a bit of Carrot Cake, keep reading...
First, let's revel in some interesting facts about our favourite orange veg.
- Carrots were first grown as medicine. Ancient greeks ate them to treat stomach aches.
- The myth that 'carrots will help you see in the dark' apparently became popular during World War II when the British Government used city-wide blackouts to make it difficult for German planes to hit targets. The public were told to eat carrots to help them with 'night sight'.
- Carrots are not only orange in color, they also come in purple, white, red and yellow.
- Carrots are about 88% water.
- If you dream about carrots it means you will have prosperity and health.
- Three carrots can give you enough energy to walk 3 miles.
"Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie."
- Jim Davis (Garfield)
Now that you know some key facts, let's take it to the kitchen...
3 Cups plain Flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs (not beaten)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 ½ cup of brown or white sugar
2 cups of carrots (peeled and shred)
1 cup of raisins
Carrot juice or orange juice (250ml) (optional for more consistent mix)
Cream cheese icing (optional)
Firstly add 4 eggs, 1tbsp. vanilla, 1 ½ cups of brown/white sugar, ½ cup of white or brown sugar ½ cup of vegetable oil and blend or whisk for Then set aside.
Then add 3 cups of plain flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Then combine the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients and fold together
Add carrot or orange juice if mixture gets to dry. The mixture should be a slightly runny consistency
Then add your peeled and sliced carrots and raisins and mix together
Get a baking tray and butter it up well. Pour mixture into tray at the midway point and put into a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 45 mins until golden brown
Take out at let it cool for 20 mins.
Serve with cream cheese icing (optional)
*Recipe from Original Flava
4 or more cups water
1 can condensed milk
½ teaspoon nutmeg/ cinnamon , adjust to taste
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon fresh ginger
add rum according to preference , optional
Vegan OptionVegan Condensed Milk
1 can coconut milk
1/3 cup coconut sugar
- Add coconut milk and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat for about 35 or more minutes, stirring often with a whisk you may have to reduce the heat if necessary to prevent any burns. Do not step away from the saucepan. When it has thickened remove and let cool before using. Proceed with carrots and replace the condensed milk with this.
Blend carrot in a blender (I used Blendtec until pureed) with about 3-4 cups of water.
Sieve the carrot mixture using a cheesecloth, fine cheese or clean kitchen towel. Squeeze really tight to extract all the carrot Juice. Save the carrot juice. Discard the rest.
Rinse the blender with water to remove any leftover carrots.
Then place the carrots juice in the blender together with all the other ingredients. Pulse for about 30 seconds until all the ingredients have come together.
Chill until ready to drink.
If you give any of these recipes a go, don't forget to tag @TotesCaribbean in your pics!
Until next time,
Keep it Totes Caribbean,
Procreate tutorial videos